Committee to prepare draft Ganga Act and submit report within three months
Just Earth News 22 Jul 2016
New Delhi, Jul 22 (Just Earth News): The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has constituted a committee to prepare the draft Ganga Act, it was announced on Friday.
Justice Girdhar Malviya (Retd.) is the Chairman of the committee.
Other members ot the committee are V.K.Bhasin, Ex-Secretary, Legislative Department, Govt of India, Prof. A.K. Gosain, llT Delhi and Prof. Nayan Sharma, llT Roorkee.
Sundeep, Director,National Mission for Clean Ganga is the Member Secretary.
The Committee has been asked to prepare a Draft Act on Ganga ensuring wholesomeness of the river. The Act should have provisions to ensure cleanliness (Nirmalta) and uninterrupted e-flow (avirlta)) of Ganga. The Committee may take into consideration any other issue which it may deem fit in the drafting of the Act. The tenure of the Committee would be for a period of three months which may be extended by another three months, if required, the Ministry of Water Resources announced.
Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Uma Bharti, had said on July 4, 2016 that a new act will be formulated for speedy implementation of Namami Gange programme. Chairing the 6th meeting of the National Ganga River Basin Authority in New Delhi the Minister had said that five Ganga basin states have agreed in principle to this idea.
Justice Malviya, 79, Chairman of Ganga Mahasabha is associated with Ganga conservation movement. The Mahasabha was founded by his grandfather and founder of BHU Mahamana Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya.
- At start of World Water Week, UN Assembly President says water and sanitation goals need 'major push'
- Billions around the world lack safe water, proper sanitation facilities, reveals UN report
- UN agency eyes recycling wastewater for large-scale farming
- Water resources ministry and others sign funding agreement for irrigation projects
- Conservation of water essential, Indian farmers can do wonder with it : PM Modi