Just Earth News | @justearthnews | 02 Jan 2018
Islamabad, Jan 2 (JEN): Attacking US President Donald Trump over his 'lie' tweet, Pakistan Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif said his nation has already refused to ‘do more’ for the United States.
“We have already told the US that we will not do more, so Trump’s ‘no more’ does not hold any importance,” Asif said in an exclusive interview with Geo News.
“Pakistan is ready to publicly provide every detail of the US aid that it has received,” Asif said in a strongly worded statement in response to Trump’s tweet that accuses Pakistan of providing safe havens to terrorists that the US is hunting in Afghanistan," he said.
Speaking on the claim made by Trump on the aid given to Pakistan by the US, he said: "The claim by Trump regarding the funds, if we account for it, they include reimbursements too for the services rendered by Pakistan."
Hours after US President's Donald Trump tweeted to accuse Pakistan of "lies and deceit", country's Foreign Office summoned United States ambassador David Hale to lodge its protest over the statement.
The United States has foolishly given Pakistan more than 33 billion dollars in aid over the last 15 years, and they have given us nothing but lies & deceit, thinking of our leaders as fools. They give safe haven to the terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan, with little help. No more!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 1, 2018
Sources told Geo News, Hale was summoned to record protest against Trump’s statements.
To discuss Trump's statement, Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi has also summoned a meeting of the National Security Committee, sources told the news channel.
Soon after US President Donald Trump's strong message to Pakistan regarding funding, Islamabad on Monday said they will respond to the tweet by the former.
Trump gave a strong message to Pakistan when he said his nation 'foolishly' gave more than 33 billion dollars in aid for the past 15 years but the south Asian nation only provided safe heavens to terrorists.
He said Pakistan only gave 'lies and deceit' to the US in return to the aid.
The Afghanistan government last month welcomed US President Donald Trump's new national security strategy and said it affirmed the enduring U.S. – Afghanistan strategic partnership.
"The NSS and the U.S. South Asia strategy are the cornerstones upon which our shared efforts to defeat terrorism and bring stability to Afghanistan are built. Our partnership, which reflects a renewed U.S. commitment, will set the conditions to end the war and finally bringing peace to Afghanistan," read a statement issued by Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani's Office.
"We welcome that the strategy aims to strengthen peace and stability in the region especially through diplomatic means," read the statement.
"The National Unity Government is committed to the principle of mutual respect and cooperation among states in the region. We have always worked and shall continue to do so for a peaceful region with increased connectivity for the shared economic development of our people in this region. To this end, we will continue to work with our neighbors close and far in the region," it said.
US President Donald Trump has shared new national security strategy on Monday.
The newly unveiled strategy asked Pakistan to take decisive action against terrorist groups operating on their territory.
- Illegal entry: Trump threatens to stop payments to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras if they assist movement
- Mike Pompeo meets Saudi King, discusses issue of Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance
- Brazil vote: Far right Bolsonaro wins first round, to lock horns with Haddad in second
- Pompeo, Kim hold 'productive discussions' during Pyongyang meeting: US
- North Korea: Mike Pompeo meets Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang