Just Earth News | @JustEarthNews | 07 Dec 2017
New York, Dec 7(Just Earth News): In the wake of the announcement by the United States President recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on Wednesday stressed that there is no alternative to the two-state solution and that Jerusalem is an issue that must be resolved through direct negotiations between the parties.
“In this moment of great anxiety, I want to make it clear: there is no alternative to the two-state solution. There is no Plan B,” said Guterres, speaking to the press at UN Headquarters in New York.
In his remarks, the UN chief noted that it is only by realizing the vision of two states “living side-by-side in peace, security and mutual recognition, with Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and Palestine, and all final status issues resolved permanently through negotiations,” that the legitimate aspirations of both peoples will be achieved.
“I understand the deep attachment that Jerusalem holds in the hearts of so many people. It has been so for centuries and it will always be,” he added.
He also noted that since he took up his post as UN Secretary-General, he has consistently spoken out against any unilateral measures that would jeopardize the prospect of peace for Israelis and Palestinians.
“For my part as the UN Secretary-General, I will do everything in my power to support the Israeli and Palestinian leaders to return to meaningful negotiations and to realize this vision of a lasting peace for both people,” he stated.
- New compact to improve refugee response ‘a chance to chart a different course’ – UN agency chief
- Setback for Trump as Democrat Jones wins Alabama Senate election
- UN and partners launch $4.4 billion regional appeal for more than five million Syrian refugees
- Venezuela: Maduro bars opposition from taking part in next Presidential polls
- Angry Trump slams US media, calls it 'a stain' on America